Have you ever wondered about the journey of a drop of oil? Here is a behind the scenes look at how a tiny seed becomes a powerful essential oil…
1. From Selection and Harvesting
A. doTerra carefully selects artisans who’s expertise, location, and growing practices ensure the highest quality essential oil. Most of the artisans partnered with doTerra are family owned businesses where their expertise and knowledge is passed down from generation to generation.
B. Specific plant species are then chosen for their distinct profile of aromatic compounds. Potency starts with the seed. To be safe and effective, especially for internal use, essential oils must have he proper chemical profile and be free of any impurities and adulterations.
C. To ensure the most potency, the plant must be harvested in the right way at the right time. Depending on the essential oil, that could be the seed, stem, leaf, flower, root, or rind. In addition, the region in which the plant is grown has a major impact on its constitution, which in turn determines its potency.
The potency and quality is essential oils are determined by:
- Growing season
- pH factor
2. To Distilation
There are various ways to distill essential oils in order to get the best quality. Most oils undergo steam distillation, but citrus oils are cold pressed.
- Steam is forced under pressure ( this is a variable) through the plant material which causes the volatiles to be released
- The volatiles re-condense
- As the volatiles condense, the water and essential oils separate and the oils is collected
Cold Press Expression
- Citrus fruits are places in a cold Press
- The fruit is cleaned by rotating brushes
- The fruit enters the oil collection portion of the machine where rasping cylinders abradebthe rind
- The essential oil is collected by water sprays
- The water and oil mixture is filtered to remove solid particles
- The water and oil mixture is then centrifuges to recover only the essential oil
3. On To Testing
Our CPTG certified Pure Tested Grade quality standard requires precise care and effort to protect what nature has created so beautifully. The rigorous testing to ensure purity and potency includes the following:
- Organolepric testing
- Microbial testing
- Gas Chromatography and Mass Spectrometry Analysis
- Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy
- Chirality Testing
- Isotopic Analysis
- Heavy Metal Testing
- Optical Rotation
- Specific Gravity
- Refractive Index
4. Bottling Facility
A second round of testing is carried out at the production facility after it has been received and placed into quarantine to ensure that what was distilled and tested is the same essential oil as was received. A third review of the chemistry of the oil is conducted in the three-phase procedure as the oils are bottles, labeled, and packaged.
5. To your Home
After that entire journey the oil is the ready to be ordered and delivered to your home…
*information in this post came from the doTerra Living magazine. This magazine is available for order on the doTerra website.